Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Power of Humility

My SOAP devotional for Feb. 25

S - Matthew 18:1-6
" 1At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?"
2He called a little child and had him stand among them. 3And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

5"And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. 6But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea."

O - The disciples still viewed Jesus' purpose as establishing an earthly kingdom. They envisioned a hierarchy in his kingdom much like a ruler/king would have. Their ultimate focus was on who would have the power, status and influence. But Jesus was trying to teach them to switch their way of thinking, to focus on humility, and service...that status and influence don't matter in the eyes of a child who trusts and depends on adults, which is the position we should take with God. Jesus teaches that anyone that causes a little child to lose faith should be cut off from his kingdom, for the children are the most dependent and vulnerable.

A - I have a great responsibility as a teacher, a community member and a parent to have a huge impact on the children in my life. I must always remember that my words and actions can have an affect for all eternity. In addition, I need to learn from these children how to trust God and seek humility instead of influence. My focus should be on service, not on status.

P - Knock me to my knees Lord when I forget my place. Help me to remember the power of humility and to focus on what I can learn from, and the influence I do have on ALL the children in my life, especially my personal children and the students I teach. Help me see opportunities where I can teach them about you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment