Thursday, February 25, 2010

Get out of the boat!

This is a second devotional from this week so don't forget to read the other one.

My SOAP devotional for Feb. 17th

S - Matthew 14:25-33
25During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear.

27But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."

28"Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."

29"Come," he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"

31Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"

32And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. 33Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."


O - This is one of my favorite "miracles" of Jesus. I have somewhat of a fondness for Peter because he was a great leader and yet acted impulsively and with great passion/emotion (not always thinking first) - I guess I feel that I can relate to him. In giving credit to John Ortberg's book of the same title, the key to this passage is "If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat." Peter showed great faith and yet he let his eyes get in the way because he saw his fears (the waves). I also find it kind of humorous though that at the end of this passage, the disciples say "You really ARE the Son of God!" And it's like, "You're just now realizing this???" What does God have to do to get through to us?

A - This is a story of faith and facing our fears. If we are to do what God is calling us to do we must first get "out of the boat" and then we must fix our eyes on Jesus, being blind to our fears. As we face big steps with adopting our daughter "A", we must ignore the big waves coming at us and focus on what Jesus is calling us to do. We have already stepped out of the boat...now we must realize who God is and fix our eyes on Him.

P - Lord Almighty, I believe that you will help us and "A" walk on water. I trust you and give you the glory in advance for what you are doing and will do in our lives. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment