Thursday, March 25, 2010

We are weak but HE is strong

Be sure to read my other devotional for this week posted today.
My SOAP devotional from March 18th

S - Matthew 26:34-35,74-75
34"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times." 35But Peter declared, "Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you." And all the other disciples said the same.

74Then he began to call down curses on himself and he swore to them, "I don't know the man!" Immediately a rooster crowed. 75Then Peter remembered the word Jesus had spoken: "Before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times." And he went outside and wept bitterly.

O - Peter made a pretty bold vow. Not only did Peter reject the idea that he would deny Jesus, but Jesus knew he would do it. When Peter was faced with a crisis situation his impulsive and human nature took over. He spoke without thinking in both situations. After he realized he had done exactly what Jesus said he would do, he was greatly troubled.

A - How often do we act and speak impulsively making promises we can't keep? I have many times. How many times do we commit to God's service and we "forget" or get "distracted" by worldly things. We lose our focus. We are not obedient when we know it's what we SHOULD do. Peter was in Jesus' inner circle and could touch him and speak to him and yet he still denied him. How much harder is it for us, who cannot physically be with Jesus, except it's not really the same thing of facing persecution and death for our faith. God asks us simply to choose faith in Jesus over the ways and temptations of the world. Why is it so hard?

P - Lord, I am weak. I have been a pretty devoted follower and yet I'm just as bad at times as someone who doesn't even know you because I confess I will hear you call to me and I put you off. "Maybe later" I say. This is just lip service I know but I earnestly pray Lord for strength and courage to be bold in my faith...to act now, not later. To be thoughtful and prayerful, and not impulsive. I am thankful for the way you made me because I know you do not make mistakes and want me to learn and grow in the ways you are teaching me. In my weakness YOU are strong! (2 Cor. 12:9) Give me the conviction to put YOU ahead of anything else on earth. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment