Thursday, February 18, 2010

On the same team when Jesus is on FIRST!

Here is my SOAP devotional for Feb. 8th

S - Matthew 10:34-39
34"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn
" 'a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law -
36a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.'[a]

37"Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

O - This is a challenging passage because it appears to be a contradiction. Jesus is drawing a line. Most would say "how can Jesus who is the supreme example of love, ask you to go against your own family, especially when it is one of the original 10 commandments?" What Jesus is saying is that people are flawed and not dependable. They will let you down but Jesus will never let us down. Jesus has proven to be dependable and has sacrificed much in spite of people that even deny who He is. So if we place our faith in people instead of Him, especially those that are not following His ways, then we will always find disappointment. Sometimes love means making tough choices if that is doing what is best. Jesus is always going to choose to love us, therefore we must choose to put Him first in our life...to choose His way over the way of people.

One note of interest is that Jesus quotes Micah 7:6 here. Micah is a book in the Old Testament and he was a contemporary of Isaiah. He is considered one of the "minor" prophets and he spoke of God's judgment and the offer of pardon to all those who repent. The book of Micah contains many prophecies about Jesus, the Messiah, who will come to unite all of God's people. He writes of God's extreme dislike of pride and injustice, and also His willingness to provide a way to forgiveness and mercy. It is clear to me that Jesus IS the only way that God could be both the judge and merciful.

A - We cannot control the choices of the people in our life. If we cling to what is actually temporary on this earth, we will miss the purpose of Jesus' coming. Jesus is not asking us to NOT love people - He is asking us to love Him MORE. He calls us to choose His way above any earthly way as the way to eternal life with Him. Jesus brings a "sword" against anything that seeks a path of destruction, and the enemy prowls in an attempt to take us with him (1 Peter 5:8). In our human nature we will not always be "on the same path"...some will have their own best interest in mind, or be blinded by the enemy's schemes, even if we are family. Therefore, in order to fully love each other, we must FIRST love the Lord of Life. If our eyes are fixed on Jesus, we will always be on the "same team".

P - Oh Lord, I plead with you to strike the heal of the enemy and keep him far from me and my family. When the enemy seeks to destroy, he will put us against each other. But putting our eyes on you (Hebrews 12:2) as the author and perfector of our faith, we will experience a peace beyond understanding, (Philippians 4:7) for following your ways ensures that we are always on the "same team". I pray most earnestly for protection and that each of those I love, and that I call "family", will put YOU first in their lives so that we might cling to your promises together. I am truly thankful that you found a way to be both the judge of all evil and yet sent Jesus to show us mercy. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment