Thursday, January 28, 2010

REAL priorities

My SOAP devotional for Jan. 21st

S - Matt. 6:4b, 6b, 18b
"And your Father, who knows all secrets, will reward you."
Matt. 6:33
"He will give you all you need from day to day if you live for him and make the kingdom of God your primary concern" (New Living version)
"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." (New International version)

O - 3 times in Matt. 6, Matthew reminds us that God knows all secrets. God knows our motivation for every action because he sees into our heart. There is nothing we can hide from Him. All the more reason that Matthew reminds us also to just give our lives to God. If we give our heart to Him and He knows our secrets anyway, we will have not only our great reward to live with Him forever, but we will have our reward here on earth as well with an abundant life. (John 10:10) We do not have to wait for heaven to experience true joy!

A - Why do I think that God does not see my selfish ambition or "secret" motives? He's on to me! Hmmm...perhaps I should just confess it and quit hiding, thinking I will MAKE something happen the way I want to. I am not in control. Perhaps when things are not going "my way", I need to look harder at who's "way" I'm really following. Am I seeking FIRST God as my primary concern? Is God's way my first priority? Am I being REAL?

P - God, you see all things! Help me to make MY priority to seek YOU in all things. There is nothing that I can hide from you. Help me to be REAL before you and others. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment