Thursday, January 7, 2010

Let There Be Light!

My new goal in 2010 for my blog is to post once a week on Thursdays. I am choosing one of my favorites from my daily devotional time the previous week to share.

This is my first reading of the year on New Year's Day!

S - Genesis 1:1-4a
"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was empty, a formless mass cloaked in darkness. And the Spirit of God was hovering over its surface. Then God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. And God saw that is was good."

O - There is so much here in just this short passage that begins God's story. We are given a picture of God's desire for companionship, meaningful work, and to share this with us. We see that with just a word, God created light and that the light overcomes the darkness. We learn that the Spirit of God is present at the creation as well.

A - God created and is actively involved in our lives. As He formed the earth and everything in it, His first act was to take over the darkness. This is how it is in our lives as well when we come to know Him and His son. His light takes over the hole of darkness in our spirit and the light always wins. We are changed. We must remember that God's desire for us was companionship with Him and all our work leads back to this desire. He gives us meaningful work which ultimately should lead back to leading others into companionship with Him. God saw that His work was good and we should as well. At the end of the day we should be able to show how His light pierced the darkness in OUR life and then say "it is good."

P - God, please show me each day how I can be a light in this dark world. Remind me that light always wins and when I'm discouraged, I can cling to the hope that is in you and the power in just your spoken word. Thank you that you give us meaningful work to be proud of and that you sent Jesus to be the light of the world. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment