Thursday, September 2, 2010

Eat and Speak

WOW! It's been 3 months since I have posted on my blog. We have been consumed with welcoming our "soon-to-be-adopted" 15-year old daughter into our home. It has been a BIG, but wonderful change. I will say that I attempted to take the "Bible in 90 days" challenge but I was not successful. It was a big undertaking that really was too lofty a goal for the time I needed to focus on our daughter and the biblical truths that we are learning and sharing every day with her! I am not giving up for attempting this again in the future. Now that Sept. has arrived, I am returning to my goal of blogging about my Bible discoveries, hoping to inspire others to dive in and embrace God's word as daily food through the SOAP method. It's so amazing how this VERY scripture that God shared with me today is about just that! Read on and please share your thoughts!

My SOAP devotional for 9/2/10.

S - Ezekiel 3:1-2
" 1 And he said to me, "Son of man, eat what is before you, eat this scroll; then go and speak to the house of Israel." 2 So I opened my mouth, and he gave me the scroll to eat."

O - Ezekiel is a prophet that has just seen a pretty amazing and powerful vision of God's glory, coming down from the sky. I have studied the 4 faces of this vision before in comparison to the 4 sides of God and also 4 personalities of us, his people. I find all of that very fascinating, but I won't go into the details of that here for there is a tremendous amount of visual information. But what is profound is that with all the description of God's appearance, and being that this is my FIRST reading back in routine with the SOAP method, God gave this verse to me where He is telling Ezekiel to simply "eat, and speak".

A - We are not to get so focused on the majesty of God that we forget that He wants a relationship with us. AND that He is calling us to simply act! He wants us to do what He is calling us to do! Even while we should have reverence and awe for God's power and might, we must remember that we are called to "eat" His word, and CONSUME His wisdom, every day, so that we can share it with others. For those that perhaps only see His majesty from a distance...perhaps they believe that God exists, He created the world, and is to be feared...they do not know that He is a God of compassion and closeness. We discover God's character through in-depth study of His word and pray for revelation.

P - God, give me the drive and commitment to consume your word daily so that I might be bold to open my mouth and share your character and your wisdom with others. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment