Thursday, April 8, 2010

All are equal

Here is my SOAP devotional for 4/3

S - Luke 8:1-3
1After this, Jesus traveled about from one town and village to another, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of God. The Twelve were with him, 2and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out; 3Joanna the wife of Cuza, the manager of Herod's household; Susanna; and many others. These women were helping to support them out of their own means.

O - Women were not supposed to learn from rabbis in Jewish culture. I believe Luke places this story here with special significance, to indicate that the believers were not making up stories. For if they were trying to "spin" the story of Jesus for their own benefit they would never include stories to promote Jesus' acceptance of women in equality. Three women are named and then "many others" are included to indicate there was lots of physical and monetary support.

A - These women offered personal and financial support to Jesus, freely without personal gain. You never hear again of Joanna and Susanna, perhaps because they were among those not faithful to the cross as Mary Magdalene was, however this tells us that we should be willing to follow Jesus even if we will not receive recognition for it. Jesus made a great effort to include women as well as others considered "low" in society to show that all people are equal in God's eyes. I should treat others the same.

P - Lord Jesus, I am in awe that you love me, and as a woman, would make a point to show your love toward women. I pray that as societies have always placed people in categories, I would turn from this temptation and sin, and see people with YOUR eyes. Open my eyes to see those that need to be included in "your church" with love and give me the courage to be purposeful in including them, as people, regardless of my own judgment on their life choices. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment