Friday, October 1, 2010

YOU are a pumpkin!

This is actually my SOAP devotional from several weeks ago on 9/9/10 when I happened to be reading this passage but it made me think of this awesome analogy I've been using with kids (and grown-ups) for years. It's perfect for the month of Oct., especially with so many focused on Halloween. Enjoy!

S - Ezekiel 11:17-21
"Therefore say: 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: I will gather you from the nations and bring you back from the countries where you have been scattered, and I will give you back the land of Israel again.' 18 "They will return to it and remove all its vile images and detestable idols. 19 I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh. 20 Then they will follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws. They will be my people, and I will be their God. 21 But as for those whose hearts are devoted to their vile images and detestable idols, I will bring down on their own heads what they have done, declares the Sovereign LORD."

O - This passage reminds me of a comparison I once heard of us to a pumpkin. It refers to God's promise of restoration. He "gathers" us to Him as a farmer gathers the harvest. He gathered and restored Israel during the "dispara" and He will do the same for us. We are scattered around the world even today but God has a plan for restoration.

A - The story goes like this:
God goes to the pumpkin patch and He chooses you. He opens you up, scoops out all the muck and guck and puts a new face on you. He places His light in you and puts you on His front porch for all the world to see. The question then is, Will you shine your light before men in service to God for this great gift of life and restoration? OR will you sit there, let your light go out and become "squash"?
God has given us talents and abilities and we are to use them to shine God's light on others...to light the path that leads to His kingdom.

P - God, thank you that you don't just leave us in the field but you CHOOSE us, and have a plan for restoration and healing. You restore us to what we can become. Thank you for your light that fills us in so many satisfying ways but also is a beacon for others to find YOU. I am privileged to be a part of your plan. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment